A little treasure from the Southern Junior League’s cookbook for the American South. A simple recipe containing butter, lemon, onions, Worcestershire sauce and steak sauce. Perfect for barbecued chicken, but also great for grilled pork.
George Major's Barbecue Sauce for Chicken
- 2 sticks whole butter
- Juice and rind from 2 lemons
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 1 10-oz. bottle of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 6-oz. bottles of your favorite steak sauce
- Melt butter in a saucepan, and squeeze in the lemon juice. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Add in the onions. Simmer mixture for 20 minutes, to slowly cook down the onions.
- Stir in the Worcestershire and the steak sauce, and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Use as a basting sauce for barbecued chicken.