This recipe for hush puppies makes 125 to 150 spoonful sized hush puppies.
Hush Puppies for a Crowd
Yield 125-150 hush puppies
- 5 lbs. self-rising corn meal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 quarts (or more) water and buttermilk (or 2 1/2 quarts of either)
- 1/2 cup shortening, melted
- 3 tablespoons onion, minced
- 4 eggs
- Stir liquid into dry ingredients, making a thick batter. (Addition of shortening improves texture. Onion adds flavor. Eggs improve texture and flavor. All three are technically optional but they all improve the batter.)
- Drop from spoon into fat which has been heated to 350°F -375°F. Fry to a golden brown.
- Serve fresh.
Courtesy of the North Carolina Pork Council.