These beans are a necessary menu item for Santa Maria Style BBQ.
Santa Maria Style Beans
Write a review
- 1 pound dried pinquito beans
- 1 strip bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup ham, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup red chile sauce (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- Pick through the beans and discard any foreign matter. Place the beans in a saucepot and cover with water. Soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and cover with fresh water. Bring to a boil, and then lower temperature to a simmer. Simmer for about 2 hours until tender.
- Cook the bacon and ham together over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Add garlic, and cook for about a minute. Add in the tomato puree, chile sauce, and seasonings. Reserve this until the beans are done.
- Drain almost all of the liquid from the beans, reserving about a half cup of the liquid. Add in the bacon and tomato sauce to the beans and stir to mix. Check the consistency and add in a little of the reserved bean liquor if the beans are too dry.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: Use a Mexican chile sauce in the canned tomato aisle at the supermarket, not chili sauce - a ketchup and horseradish condiment.
All Qd Up http://www.allqdup.com/