19th Hole Barbecue Sauce
A tomato based barbecue sauce that goes great with chicken.
- 2 tablespoons dried onion
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 drops liquid smoke
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Simmer gently for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency you like.
- Remove the bay leaf. Serve with beef or pork.
Recipe adapted from the 1965 Barbecue Book from Better Homes and Gardens.